The recommended LaTeX port?

Norman Gray norman.gray at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 08:31:06 UTC 2018

Greetings.

On 20 Aug 2018, at 2:53, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Which is *the* \LaTeX distribution for FreeBSD currently?

I don't know specifically about the 'for FreeBSD' part, but I can make a
couple of points about (La)TeX variants.  TeXLive is currently the
dominant TeX distribution.  The canonical source of that is
<http://tug.org/texlive/>.

As mentioned earlier in this thread 'latex' can use only EPS files as
images, but 'pdflatex' can use a variety of formats _excluding_ EPS.
However ps2pdf can convert EPS files to PDF, ready for inclusion using
pdflatex.  I think it's fair to say that pdflatex is used much more
commonly than latex, except in those cases (for example in some journal
submissions) where one must fit in with an EPS-only workflow.

Generally (and certainly in the TeXLive distribution), latex and
pdflatex are the same program, distinguished by the default (but
changeable) value of \pdfoutput: in either program, \pdfoutput=0
produces DVI output, and \pdfoutput=1 produces PDF.

You might be interested, Victor, in xe(la)tex or lua(la)tex, which are
also in TeXLive.  These are two friendly forks of TeX which use Unicode
internally -- so the source file can be cyrilllic with no
\usepackage{inputenc} complications.

Both XeTeX and LuaTeX also use platform fonts, rather than only TeX or
postscript fonts, which can be very convenient, if you're not concerned
with making your source document portable.  There are a few interesting
features which are unique to either XeTeX or LuaTeX -- both of these
are, in a sense, the laboratories of the TeX world -- but the fonts
capability which they both have is the one that most people are
interested in.

If your goal is to produce documents with Cyrillic content, as
painlessly as possible, than I think you'd be best using XeTeX or
LuaTeX, and restraining yourself from doing anything fancy with fonts.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk