The recommended LaTeX port?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Aug 20 01:53:45 UTC 2018

Polytropon wrote:

> > Which is *the* \LaTeX distribution for FreeBSD currently?
> >
> > I remember last time I needed \LaTex around a dozen years ago, I used
> > the teTeX port, but cannot find it now.
>
> This is currect, teTeX has been discontinued. The consensus
> is to use TeXlive which is in FreeBSD ports, but is offered
> for many other platforms, too.

OK, print/texlive-full then.

> > Cyrillic support is crucial, direct output to PDF is very desirable,
> > dependency on GUI libs and tools is not desirable.
>
> With TeXlive, you have the same tools (and more packages)
> as teTeX, so the switch should be possible without problems.
> For cyrillic text, only used occassionally, I use

No, occassionally is not for me.

> Additionally, it _should_ be possible to use UTF-8
> input sources with cyrillic letters directly, using
>
> 	\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}

In fact, this is not sufficient, pdflatex still complains about Cyrillic
characters. Maybe something like

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian]{babel}

helps, but I think I need to find Russian users of TeXlive for
instructions.

> > I forgot to mention that I've tried a couple of online editors like
> > https://www.sharelatex.com/ but they all lacked Cyrillic support
> > miserably (Cyrillic characters either did not show in the compiled
> > output, or showed as mojibake).
>
> Just use a normal editor inside a terminal that can input
> and display cyrillic letters. Even ye olde xterm can do it.
> Make sure you set your environment variables correctly,
> i. e., en_US.UTF-8.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant *online* editors, not *visual*
editors. That is, online \LaTex compilers, you just upload your source
or edit it in a Web form, and they compile it for you online into PDF.
https://www.sharelatex.com/ is like that. And for a fee, they offer
collaboration tools, git integration etc.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
AS43859