Future of SAMBA on FreeBSD

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 03:02:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 8:19 PM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>
wrote:

> On Sat, September 16, 2017 19:49, Adam Vande More wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions
> > < freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >

> > Are you trying this in a jail?  Did you read the relevant UPDATING
> > entry?
> >

> 1. No, this is not being attempted in a jail.
>
> 2. Yes, but this is not an update of an existing samba DC but a new
> installation.  The pkg built on FreeBSD-11 but it will not provision
> as a DC.
>
> The issue is tied to the implementation of extended attributes which
> somehow differs under FreeBSD from Linux.  My question was directed at
> the FreeBSD maintainers since the package maintainer is constrained by
> the limits enforced by the operating system.A work around that is
> reported to work is to patch Damba 4.6 to use the default namespace
> which approach the Samba team deprecate as being insecure.

The bug you linked to has nothing to do with the issue of trying to
provision a DC on a non-jailed FreeBSD installation.

Google tells me you already have the answer as to why this particular issue
doesn't work.

http://lists-archives.com/samba/106557-freebsd-11-and-samba-4-6-as-a-dc.html

Is there some critical reason you can't simply use 4.5 until this is
resolved?  Or use an OS that supports this?

--
Adam