Future of SAMBA on FreeBSD

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Sun Sep 17 19:55:43 UTC 2017

On Sat, September 16, 2017 23:02, Adam Vande More wrote:

> The bug you linked to has nothing to do with the issue of trying to
> provision a DC on a non-jailed FreeBSD installation.

The issue the bug addresses may not, but the bug itself certainly does.

> Google tells me you already have the answer as to why this particular
> issue doesn't work.
>
> http://lists-archives.com/samba/106557-freebsd-11-and-samba-4-6-as-a-dc.html

Recall that my original question was whether or not Samba 4.6 would
ever be supported on FreeBSD-11+; not when will it be supported or why
is it not supported.  Which was a somewhat passive way of asking if
any progress had been made on resolving the underlying issue.  As I
understand the situation the Samba team's point of view is that this
is a problem for the FreeBSD team to address.  For now we a running
Samba 4.3 which is mostly satisfactory.

> Is there some critical reason you can't simply use 4.5 until this is
> resolved?  Or use an OS that supports this?

I had exactly the same provisioning problem with 4.5 and 4.4.  The
last version of Samba that provisioned successfully for me on
FreeBSD-11 was 4.3.

Canada  L8E 3C3