Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

Sergei Akhmatdinov sakhmatd at riseup.net
Wed Jan 18 08:20:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 23:30:55 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> I do not know but suspect the font section is obsolete.  However, I have
> not investigated that.

Only half obsolete. Loading "freetype" is no longer needed, but most font
packages do not properly copy into Xorg's default font-paths, so you still need
to point to them. That, or manually copy the files over, which is what I do. I
find that a bit less fussy than adding a .conf and having to add a
font-path every time I install a new font from ports.

> >> Do you have both hald and dbus running?
>
> Only dbus is required for xfce.  Although the packages might require
> hal, don't know.

I have XFCE set up on my FBSD desktop, couldn't get it to show up
restart-shutdown-etc without HAL running.

Not sure why XFCE needs so much work over what is essentially a `shutdown
(-r|-p) now` wrapper.

Cheers,
--
Sergei Akhmatdinov

My GPG public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys AD800D99