Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 18 06:39:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, David Christensen wrote:

> On 01/16/17 20:05, Sergei Akhmatdinov wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

>> On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:16:59 -0800
>> David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>
>> First of all, using your own Xorg.conf is very deprecated, I suggest you
>> allow X to configure itself, i.e., remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> dpchrist at freebsd:/usr/home/dpchrist $ l /etc/X11/
> ./	../
>

>> and/or /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf files and simply run startx.
>
> I generated xorg.conf.new per the manual section 5.4.8:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

The Quick Start section at the very top shows the right way to do this.
That is, do not generate an xorg.conf at all.  Way down in the Manual
Configuration section, it says:

   In some cases, Xorg autoconfiguration does not work with particular
   hardware, or a different configuration is desired. For these cases, a
   custom configuration file can be created.

This is clearly not emphatic enough.  It should say:

   DO NOT GENERATE AN XORG.CONF FILE UNLESS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED!

I do not know but suspect the font section is obsolete.  However, I have
not investigated that.

>> Do you have both hald and dbus running?

Only dbus is required for xfce.  Although the packages might require
hal, don't know.