Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jan 19 05:15:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Sergei Akhmatdinov wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 23:30:55 -0700 (MST)
> Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> I do not know but suspect the font section is obsolete.  However, I have
>> not investigated that.
>
> Only half obsolete. Loading "freetype" is no longer needed, but most font
> packages do not properly copy into Xorg's default font-paths, so you still need
> to point to them. That, or manually copy the files over, which is what I do. I
> find that a bit less fussy than adding a .conf and having to add a
> font-path every time I install a new font from ports.

>> Only dbus is required for xfce.  Although the packages might require
>> hal, don't know.
>
> I have XFCE set up on my FBSD desktop, couldn't get it to show up
> restart-shutdown-etc without HAL running.

I've been using xfce without hal ever since submitting the patches to
change the ports to not need it. :)

But I build everything from ports, and that packages might require hal.

> Not sure why XFCE needs so much work over what is essentially a `shutdown
> (-r|-p) now` wrapper.

I just add those entries to the polkit file and it works.  If there is
something else that needs to be done, I did it a long time ago, but I'm
pretty sure I have set up machines from scratch with the same
configuration.