FreeBSD 11.0 i386, XDM 1.1.11_6, XFCE 4.12_1 -- How to enable GUI shutdown and restart?

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Sun Jan 1 18:58:55 UTC 2017

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016, Warren Block wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2016, Bernt Hansson wrote:

>>> Which demonstrates that Xfce on FreeBSD is program, not programming
>>> systems product.

>> This is/was for HAL on freebsd. I've got it working in FreeBSD 5, 6, 7
>> something.
>
> Pretty sure this is still needed for polkit. But I could be wrong. I was
> wrong that one time, but then it turned out that I was actually right, and
> was wrong about being wrong.
>
>> Now there is devd instead of HAL. Which i know very little about.
>
> devd is used, or can be used, for keyboard and mouse hotplug detection in X.
> But it doesn't do the other stuff that hald did.  Which shouldn't matter in
> this case, as xfce just used hal to detect hotplugged storage devices.

I have what I assume is a really dump, and perhaps off the topic of this thread
question, so it only goes to the list. This is an immense amount of structure
and work to essentially get a wrapper for "shutdown -[r|p] now". So what am I
missing? I gave up on this around XFCE 4.6 (or so) because the instructions did
not work and hal (for me anyway) preformed much like its namesake.