FreeBSD 11.0 i386, XDM 1.1.11_6, XFCE 4.12_1 -- How to enable GUI shutdown and restart?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jan 1 00:28:05 UTC 2017

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> On 2016-12-31 21:21, David Christensen wrote:
>> On 12/31/16 10:55, Warren Block wrote:
>>> It is very difficult to follow a dozen separate questions inside a post.
>>
>> Which demonstrates that Xfce on FreeBSD is program, not programming systems
>> product.
>>

>>> I think one of them was about shutdown/logout/restart.  This is from my
>>> xfce notes file.  Note that hal is not required for xfce at all, and I
>>> do not have it installed.
>>>
>>> shutdown/reboot/logout
>>>   as root, create
>>> /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla
>>>

>>>   (this is needed)
>>>   [Restart]
>>>   Identity=unix-group:operator
>>>   Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
>>>   ResultAny=yes
>>>   ResultInactive=yes
>>>   ResultActive=yes
>>>
>>>   [Shutdown]
>>>   Identity=unix-group:operator
>>>   Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
>>>   ResultAny=yes
>>>   ResultInactive=yes
>>>   ResultActive=yes
>>
> This is/was for HAL on freebsd. I've got it working in FreeBSD 5, 6, 7
> something.

Pretty sure this is still needed for polkit. But I could be wrong. I was
wrong that one time, but then it turned out that I was actually right,
and was wrong about being wrong.

> Now there is devd instead of HAL. Which i know very little about.

devd is used, or can be used, for keyboard and mouse hotplug detection
in X.  But it doesn't do the other stuff that hald did.  Which shouldn't
matter in this case, as xfce just used hal to detect hotplugged storage
devices.