Freebsd under windows 10

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Tue Aug 29 02:32:39 UTC 2017

from Polytropon:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:42:02 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> > The Microsoft September Windows 10 update is providing a method for
> > installing Unix flavored operating systems [IE: Linux, Ubuntu, SUSE and
> > Fedora]   under windows 10.

> > Read the end of this story for details at this link
> > https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ubuntu-linux-available-in-windows-10-store/

> > What is Freebsd doing to join the group?

> Probably nothing. It's not good to join any group just because
> it does exist. ;-)

> Actually, you can understand the "Windows Subsystem for Linux"
> like FreeBSD's Linux ABI, or like what wine is providing to
> run "Windows" programs on FreeBSD and Linux: You can install
> Linux OS components and additional applications and run them
> on "Windows", just as you can run a "Windows" program on FreeBSD
> using wine. As far as I understand, you do not run the Linux
> kernel (read: Linux itself), instead the WSL presents Linux-like
> kernel interfaces and library calls for the applications executed.

> That's why the possible assumption of "running one OS inside
> another OS" is not valid here. The support is limited to a specific
> subset of GNU/Linux operating system distributions. You do not
> install Linux under "Windows", nor can you install FreeBSD under
> "Windows". Except for virtualization, you cannot install and run
> an operating system under "Windows".

> You can find more about the nature of WSL here:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

> As you can conclude, FreeBSD uses a different kernel and system
> library than Linux, so MICROS~1 would have to implement them
> completely differently, maybe as WSF. ;-)

> In my opinion, this is a nice approach to add normal computer
> functionalities to the "Windows" environment which lacks them.
> Until now, the common solution was install Cygwin, but with the
> ongoing "rising of the walls" a solution native to the "Windows
> Store" where people can rent software for the computer they
> cannot control anymore. :-)

This thread inspires me to ask, for comparison, about running Linux or Linux programs under FreeBSD, with an actual Linux installation mounted on /compat/linux .

I have an old Slackware 13.0 from 2009, kernel 2.6.29.6, on an IDE hard drive in a Sabrent enclosure with USB 2.0 interface.

But I would really want to use on something newer and not Slackware.

Tom