Freebsd under windows 10

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 28 21:45:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, August 28, 2017 11:42 am, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> The Microsoft September Windows 10 update is providing a method for
> installing Unix flavored operating systems [IE: Linux, Ubuntu, SUSE and
> Fedora]   under windows 10.

I would rather go other way around: install FreeBSD on bare metal, and run
MS Windows, say, under VirtualBox. MS Windows is "bloated pig" (my friend
sysadmin started saying that when Windows 2000 was released), Linux makes
huge steps in that same direction, FreeBSD would be slimmer than either of
them (sorry if I am wrong, there definitely is an expert on the list who
will correct me  then). Hence, I prefer to run FreeBSD on my laptop, and
all others live in VirtualBox virtual machines. That makes me use hardware
efficiently, and being able to use other systems when my sysadmin duties
call for that and I don't have anything else but laptop in hands.

Just my $0.02.

Valeri

> Read the end of this story for details at this link
> https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ubuntu-linux-available-in-windows-10-store/
>

> What is Freebsd doing to join the group?

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247