sendmail seperate mta/msa processes

fml tetrosalame at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 19:29:18 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 10:22:13AM -0500, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> Currently my mail server is working well enough. However, I would like to try setting up multiple sendmail processses with their own configurations. So I can have one running on port 25 with spam milters, no relays allowed, and deliver mail to dovecot lmtp. Then have a seperate process with its own config running on port 587 that requires tls+auth before it relays.
>
> Is this something people do regularly and is easy to implement? Or is it one of those things that after I begin I will wish I had never attempted.

If you do not need milter interfaces, OpenSMTPD is worth a try (it's
in ports).
It supports mail filters but, as far as I know, they aren't
milter-compatible.
Or just go with Postfix as you've been told to.
I think that if today you stick with sendmail you:
a) know why you *need* sendmail OR
b) have some legacy software bound to sendmail OR
c) just play "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" game (like me).

Bye,
f.