sendmail seperate mta/msa processes

Edgar Pettijohn edgar at pettijohn-web.com
Thu Aug 10 23:14:26 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 09:29:12PM +0200, fml wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 10:22:13AM -0500, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> > Currently my mail server is working well enough. However, I would like to try setting up multiple sendmail processses with their own configurations. So I can have one running on port 25 with spam milters, no relays allowed, and deliver mail to dovecot lmtp. Then have a seperate process with its own config running on port 587 that requires tls+auth before it relays.
> >
> > Is this something people do regularly and is easy to implement? Or is it one of those things that after I begin I will wish I had never attempted.
> >

> If you do not need milter interfaces, OpenSMTPD is worth a try (it's
> in ports).
> It supports mail filters but, as far as I know, they aren't
> milter-compatible.
> Or just go with Postfix as you've been told to.
> I think that if today you stick with sendmail you:
> a) know why you *need* sendmail OR
> b) have some legacy software bound to sendmail OR
> c) just play "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" game (like me).

I mainly just wanted to give it a shot.  I will probably go back to
postfix.  The configuration isn't all that difficult once you get the
hang of it.  The main problem seems to be the documentation I have
found doesn't explain things fully and make references to "rule sets"
and macros that I don't understand yet, so then I have to go search for
those.  Try to figure them out and how they apply to what I was reading
before, etc, etc.  It seems looking at the source, that it hasn't been
updated well.  Probably time to retire it or a complete rewrite.