sendmail seperate mta/msa processes

edgar edgar at pettijohn-web.com
Mon Aug 7 16:32:05 UTC 2017

> On Aug 7, 2017 at 3:30 AM,  <Matthew Seaman>  wrote:
>

>  On 06/08/2017 16:22, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:  >  Currently my mail server is working well enough. However, I would  >  like to try setting up multiple sendmail processses with their own  >  configurations. So I can have one running on port 25 with spam  >  milters, no relays allowed, and deliver mail to dovecot lmtp. Then  >  have a seperate process with its own config running on port 587 that  >  requires tls+auth before it relays.  >   >  Is this something people do regularly and is easy to implement? Or is  >  it one of those things that after I begin I will wish I had never  >  attempted. Having a separate port 587 listener that requires STARTTLS and authentication is a pretty standard configuration. Typically you wouldn't run two separate sendmail processes for that though. I dropped sendmail in favour of postfix some time ago, but as I recall, the essential parts of the configuration were: FEATURE(`no_default_msa') and then defining a series of DAEMON_OPTIONS(...) de!
 fining wh
ere sendmail would open listening sockets and the various flags to require things like authentication after STARTTLS. You also need a MAILER(...) definition to configure delivery via LMTP. However, my advice would be to forget trying to do this with sendmail and install a different MTA. I prefer postfix because it combines speed and security with a rally quite readable configuration syntax. Cheers, Matthew