hplip error: No module named sip

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 15 05:22:35 UTC 2017

> HP Deskjet 1110, I assume?

Actually, it is HP DeskJet 1112, but it always identifies itself as HP
DJ 1110.

> However, hplip support seems to be okay for this model:
>
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/deskjet_1110_series.html

This USB printer works fantastically with primary and secondary boxes
(both FreeBSD 10.3/11). I have never had a problem with this printer
printing with FreeBSD::hplip.

>> To the best of my knowledge, the printer does not show up in the output
>> of usbconfig.

I checked the output of usbconfig by doing this : I ran usbconfig twice,
first time with the printer on; and then a second time with the printer
switched off.

a) The first run does not produce identification for any HP/Hewlett
Packard device
b) Both runs produce exactly the same output.

> So the printer actually gets recognized, and CUPS can configure
> it? It so, what's the point of using hp-setup additionally?

Now it gets interesting. On neither my primary box nor my secondary box
have I succeeded in printing to this printer with CUPS. I have always
had to delete the CUPS queue and print with hplip.

On this tertiary box, it turns out that printing with CUPS is cool : - )

This is the first time I am seeing CUPS working so well and easily on
any of my boxes.

So the hplip issue becomes of less import.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Manish Jain