hplip error: No module named sip

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Apr 14 23:05:39 UTC 2017

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 22:30:45 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using hplip with great comfort for over a year. But when I
> tried to install my HP 1110 printer on my tertiary box with FreeBSD
> Current (12, r316508), I get a strange error upon trying to run hp-setup
> : "error: No module named sip".

HP Deskjet 1110, I assume?

I don't know in which context hp-setup uses "sip", but that
abbreviation is often used for "Session Initiation Protocol"
and used in combination with VoIP phone applications and
services. It's possible that the printer supports some
specific communication feature, but hp-setup doesn't have
support for it - or vice versa.

However, hplip support seems to be okay for this model:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/deskjet_1110_series.html

> To the best of my knowledge, the printer does not show up in the output
> of usbconfig.

That sounds incorrect. If the printer is a USB printer (which
I assume because you didn't say otherwise, and "modern" printers
are always USB), it should show in the output of usbconfig as
well as in dmesg; however, depending on make and model, it will
show up as ugen (USB generic device) or ulpt (USB printer). The
identification text _might_ contain the printer maker and model,
so grepping for "HP" could reveal the desired result.

Anyway, the printer _needs_ to identify to the system somehow
in order to be accessible.

> If I remember correctly, this printer always shows up in
> FreeBSD named as a device of either HP or Hewlett Packard.

This is how it usually shows up in the CUPS administration
web interface. The connection URI can contain parts like
usb://HP/... or other make / model / driver specific text.

> Which is even
> more strange considering that, even on this box, CUPS recognizes the
> printer and I managed to add a queue for it in the CUPS web interface.

So the printer actually gets recognized, and CUPS can configure
it? It so, what's the point of using hp-setup additionally?

If the printer really _really_ doesn't show in dmesg or usbconfig,
check the USB connection on both sides. Sometimes it is just that
easy. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany