Updating multiple computers

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 00:53:42 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com>
wrote:

> Here is what I have done, I need some guidance to complete my journey
>
> I now understand the differences in the base source repositories and I
> know now that I need the releng-10.1 source.
>
> I have pulled that source using svnlite and I am able to build the base
> system and kernel following the handbook. I have also learned how to create
> a "release" by reading the release man page and have done so. I then
> scripted this to update the local svn base source code, then build a
> "release" and then copy the release to a network server.
>
> OK now the next step or issue:
>
> How do I use that release assuming that it is on a network server to
> update/upgrade multiple systems?
>
> I know I could use the memstick image from "my release build" to install a
> system,  I am under the assumption that I can not use that to
> update/upgrade a system only install.  I have the tarball that release
> generates as well.
>
> Can freebsd-update be "tricked" into using my built release system or will
> it only use the freebsd servers?
>
>  It is ok offer improved ways or complete new ways of doing this or tell
> me that "it just don't work that way"
>

> When my journey is complete I will/should be able to pull the source and
> install/update/upgrade multiple system, or at lease that is what I am
> attempting to do.
>

> Thank you for your time

A short time ago there was a thread like your question , but unfortunately
I could remember it .

The following links may be useful , if possible :

https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere
Port/Package build and test system

https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/wiki
poudriere is a BSD-2 licensed tool primarily designed to test package
production on FreeBSD. However, most people will find it useful to bulk
build ports for FreeBSD.

http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/upgrade.html
Upgrading systems running FreeBSD

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2014-November/262497.html
pkgng local repositories

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2015-February/047040.html
local pkgng repo

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2015-January/263717.html
Cross-compile and distribute updates

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/hubs/article.html
Mirroring FreeBSD

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2014-November/262566.html
Installing from running FreeBSD

http://blog.hostileadmin.com/2012/10/08/building-freebsd-media-with-custom-packages/

http://freebsd.so14k.com/freebsd_update_server.shtml

https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng
PKG : Pkg is the Next Generation package management tool for FreeBSD

https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng/CharterAndRoadMap
PKGNG Charter and Road Map

http://www.freshports.org/ports-mgmt/poudriere
poudriere is a tool primarily designed to test package production on
FreeBSD. However, most people will find it useful to bulk build ports for
FreeBSD.

http://blog.etoilebsd.net/post/Home_made_pkgng_repo
Home made pkgng repositories

If you study pkg system of FreeBSD , you will find that there is possible
solutions for your problem .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk