pw add user slow

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Tue Oct 18 15:19:37 UTC 2016

On 18/10/2016 15:21, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 10/18/16 15:05, Frank Shute wrote:
>> Doesn't the imap server have an option for using a relational database rather
>> than filling passwd up? I'd go for that option if it does.
> If we're talking about dovecot as the IMAP server in question, then,
> yes, it can connect to a wide variety of databases for it's
> authentication data.  It can also read from an arbitrary passwd(7)
> format file -- not the same as the system passwd file.
>
> On the scale the OP is working with, personally I'd not create 6000 unix
> user accounts on the IMAP server: rather create a single account to own
> all of the imap Maildirs and use a separate database of Mail user
> accounts.  This and other configuration patterns are discussed in detail
> on the Dovecot wiki as I recall.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

the local system accounts are for sendmail delivery to local mailboxes,
(so the mention of IMAP is not really relevant actually)

my virtusertable is of the form:

      a at asd.com                local_account_1111
      b at asd.com                local_account_1112

(with use of the aliases for >1 forwards)

Are there ways to get local delivery via the SMTP server to dovecot
Maildirs without creating system accounts?

thanks
Paul.

--
-------------------------
Paul Macdonald
e: paul at ifdnrg.com
w: http://www.ifdnrg.com
IFDNRG
40 Maritime Street
Edinburgh
EH6 6SA

Virtual Servers from £50.00pm
High specification Dedicated Servers from £150.00pm