Hi, a dual booting question

Bertram Scharpf lists at bertram-scharpf.de
Wed Oct 5 19:34:53 UTC 2016

Hi Ola,

On Wednesday, 05. Oct 2016, 14:09:56 +0100, Olaoluwa Omokanwaiye wrote:
> Please I am have a little trouble dual booting xubuntu 16.04 and FreeBSD 10.3
> I have successfully installed both, xubuntu first then the
> FreeBSD but on powering the system only the xubuntu comes
> up. How can I make the FreeBSD show up so I can select.

I'm dual booting Gentoo Linux and FreeBSD on my laptop. The
boot manager is Grub2 what probably applies to your
first-Xubuntu installation, too.

You need to put a section into "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" that
looks like this:

  menuentry "FreeBSD" --class freebsd --class bsd --class os {
    insmod ufs2
    set root=hd0,9
    echo 'Loading FreeBSD ...'
    kfreebsd /boot/loader
  }

(working here) or maybe

  menuentry "FreeBSD" --class freebsd --class bsd --class os {
    set root=(hd0,9)
    echo 'Loading FreeBSD ...'
    chainloader +1
  }

Probably you have to put this into a file like
"/etc/grub.d/40_custom" and then run "grub-mkconfig".

Make a copy of your existing "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" first in
case you happen to spoil your whole installation.

Find the detailed information how to proceed by Google.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany