Having trouble printing to my HP OJ Pro 8600 all-in-one

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 05:06:12 UTC 2016

On 23 November 2016 at 12:22, Patrick Mahan <mahan at mahan.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> System info:
>
>     CPU: Intel I7 w/8 cpus @ 3.20 GHz
>     MEM: 12 Gbytes
>     HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda (FreeBSD is on a 500G partition)
>     OS: FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p21
>
> I just update my binary packages (after much much pain) since they were
> so out of date.  One of the items that seemed to drastically was CUPS.
> I had CUPS-2.0.1 and now have CUPS-2.2.1, but it seems I have lost all
> printing ability.  I re-installed all available cups packages (except
> client,
> can't see where that exists) along with gutenprint and hplip.  I see on
> the ports page that there a secondary package called hplip-plugins but
> pkg will not install it as it says it cannot find any package matching
> that name.
>
> Cups sees the printer, it seems up, but when I attempt to print a test
> page, I get the following error:
>
>    Unable to print test page:
>
>           Unsupported format "text/plain".
>
> Looking in /usr/local/etc/cups and I don't see any definition for
> "text/plain".  Also, the cups filter in the .ppd for the printer
> is set to "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 hpcups", but I can find
> no definition of vnd.cups-raster nor hpcups.
>
> Tried googling and most of the solutions are targeted for Linux
> platforms and are packages that I no longer see in the ports tree.
>
> Any pointers, suggestions, how to's are appreciated.  This has been
> the main print server in my office and a couple of colleagues with
> Apple devices (iPads, iPhones and Macbooks) depend on it for printing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

What make/model of printer do you have? Is it supported with or without the
plugin (check at link below):
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

Have you tried removing the printer from the config, and re-adding it?

hplip-plugin is not available as a package because of license restrictions.
It can be installed from ports (make sure the hplip-plugin ports version
matches the hplip package version).
http://www.freshports.org/print/hplip-plugin
http://hplipopensource.com/node/309

Don't follow the instructions on how to install the plugin from the hplip
website, just install it from ports if required.

Regards,
Ben