Having trouble printing to my HP OJ Pro 8600 all-in-one

Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Wed Nov 23 06:58:59 UTC 2016

On 11/22/16 9:06 PM, Ben Woods wrote:
>> On 23 November 2016 at 12:22, Patrick Mahan <mahan at mahan.org>
>> <mailto:mahan at mahan.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     All,
>>
>>     System info:
>>
>>         CPU: Intel I7 w/8 cpus @ 3.20 GHz
>>         MEM: 12 Gbytes
>>         HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda (FreeBSD is on a 500G partition)
>>         OS: FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p21
>>
>>     I just update my binary packages (after much much pain) since they were
>>     so out of date.  One of the items that seemed to drastically was CUPS.
>>     I had CUPS-2.0.1 and now have CUPS-2.2.1, but it seems I have lost all
>>     printing ability.  I re-installed all available cups packages (except client,
>>     can't see where that exists) along with gutenprint and hplip.  I see on
>>     the ports page that there a secondary package called hplip-plugins but
>>     pkg will not install it as it says it cannot find any package matching
>>     that name.
>>
>>     Cups sees the printer, it seems up, but when I attempt to print a test
>>     page, I get the following error:
>>
>>        Unable to print test page:
>>
>>               Unsupported format "text/plain".
>>
>>     Looking in /usr/local/etc/cups and I don't see any definition for
>>     "text/plain".  Also, the cups filter in the .ppd for the printer
>>     is set to "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 hpcups", but I can find
>>     no definition of vnd.cups-raster nor hpcups.
>>
>>     Tried googling and most of the solutions are targeted for Linux
>>     platforms and are packages that I no longer see in the ports tree.
>>
>>     Any pointers, suggestions, how to's are appreciated.  This has been
>>     the main print server in my office and a couple of colleagues with
>>     Apple devices (iPads, iPhones and Macbooks) depend on it for printing.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Patrick
>>

> On 22 November 2016, Ben Woods <woodsb02 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What make/model of printer do you have? Is it supported with or without the
> plugin (check at link below):
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

Yep, it's supported.  I forgot to mention it earlier, but it is a
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 aio.

> Have you tried removing the printer from the config, and re-adding it?

I've been hesitant to do so as I also support the AirPrint via the avahi daemon
and I was hoping not to mess with any of that, but if I gotta, I gotta.

> hplip-plugin is not available as a package because of license restrictions. It
> can be installed from ports (make sure the hplip-plugin ports version matches the
> hplip package version).
> http://www.freshports.org/print/hplip-plugin
> http://hplipopensource.com/node/309
>
> Don't follow the instructions on how to install the plugin from the hplip
> website, just install it from ports if required.

Ah that explains it, maybe the description could be updated to include this
tidbit of information.  I just update the ports tree, so I'll go build it
there.

> Regards,
> Ben

Thanks for the help,