EFI Framebuffer issue during FreeBSD 10.3 installation

Nicholas Michael Gordon (nmgordon) nmgordon at memphis.edu
Fri Jul 15 09:36:45 UTC 2016

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 10.3 on a Thinkpad T430s, and in two different boot images I'm seeing a problem where when the installer starts, I can only see the ncurses (?) framebuffer in a small portion at the top of my screen. I've tried using safe mode, to no avail. Additionally, the screen doesn't refresh; it leaves this information on the screen:

EFI framebuffer information:

addr, size 0x0, 0x0

dimensions 640x480

stride 640

masks 0x00ff0000 0x0000ff00 0x0000000ff 0xff000000

I can actually use the menus, the system is responsive. However, I can only see the small portion at the top, which makes it impossible to actually perform the installation.

Any thoughts?

Nick G

nmgordon at memphis.edu