A problem with mouse click being interpreted as double-click

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 15 04:38:35 UTC 2016

On 15/07/2016 06:43, Manish Jain wrote:
> I am using FreeBSD 10.2 amd64 with gnome3 as desktop.
>
> I am experiencing a problem which is quite irksome when it happens. A
> single click of my mouse (Logitech, USB) sometimes gets interpreted as a
> double-click (or even sometimes as 2 single clicks). I have tried
> various things but the problem does not go away :
>
> 1) tried different click speeds in Gnome settings
> 2) took the mouse out from the hub and connected it to a motherboard port
> 3) booted into Windows XP to see if the problem occurs there too. It
> doesn't.
>
> On FreeBSD, the problem continues to happen randomly, about once for
> every 10 mouse clicks. Would anyone have any idea about what the problem
> might be ? Is this a problem with the mouse hardware or with X or with
> FreeBSD kernel code ?

An update for anyone interested in this issue. I remembered I had a
spare Cooler Master mouse. I took out the Logitech mouse, and plugged in
CM. The problem went away entirely.

What I suspect is Logitech's Windows driver does a lot of error-handling
to make it work seamlessly even when the hardware is actually failing.
If that is true, Logitech wouldn't be the only one doing that -
practically every manufacturer would be tweaking his Windows driver for
'superfluous' exception-handling.

The other bit of news is that Cooler Master is a sensational mouse. If
you have just a little bit extra to spare for your mouse the next time
around, don't forget to keep CM high on your priority list.

--
Regards

Manish Jain
+91-70731-76333