Any idea why freebsd.org is using PayPal for donations ?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 13 17:04:54 UTC 2016

On 2016/07/13 17:34, Manish Jain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I yesterday made a very small donation of USD 10 to FreeBSD via my
> credit card. The amount is trifling, by all standards, but it made me
> happy. But I was mighty unhappy that FreeBSD donations at freebsd.org
> are now crafted by PayPal. In my opinion, PayPal is a bunch of thugs who
> charge 2x for everything they do.
>
> For making my donation, PayPal first set up a 'handshake' transaction of
> USD 1. I had no option but to accept that transaction too. So I ended up
> donating USD 10 to FreeBSD, and USD 1 to PayPal. As much as I want to
> donate to FreeBSD, I also want that none of my money ends up as booty
> with PayPal, a company I absolutely hate for its business model,
> practice and internal work ethos (I have worked at PayPal for 6 months
> to know how bad things are at PayPal).
>
> The way the system works, I can't reclaim my USD 1 that now enriches
> PayPal accounts.

You will have donated via the FreeBSD Foundation as the legal entity
behind the project (ie. something that can run bank accounts and
disperse monies.)  It's actually a Foundation webpage that you get to by
clicking on the 'Donate' button on www.freebsd.org.

Now, that donations page gives you 4 different ways to donate money to
the project, of which PayPal is only one alternative.  'Click & Pledge'
looks to me like pretty much like what you would have wanted instead of
PayPal.  However, if you're unsure, why not ask the FF people?  There's
a form here:

https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/contact-us/

or there's phone numbers and e-mail addresses on that page.  Quite apart
from anything else, they will be very glad to get feedback on the
methods they provide for handling donations.

	Cheers,

	Matthew