Any idea why freebsd.org is using PayPal for donations ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:36:04 UTC 2016

Hi,

I yesterday made a very small donation of USD 10 to FreeBSD via my
credit card. The amount is trifling, by all standards, but it made me
happy. But I was mighty unhappy that FreeBSD donations at freebsd.org
are now crafted by PayPal. In my opinion, PayPal is a bunch of thugs who
charge 2x for everything they do.

For making my donation, PayPal first set up a 'handshake' transaction of
USD 1. I had no option but to accept that transaction too. So I ended up
donating USD 10 to FreeBSD, and USD 1 to PayPal. As much as I want to
donate to FreeBSD, I also want that none of my money ends up as booty
with PayPal, a company I absolutely hate for its business model,
practice and internal work ethos (I have worked at PayPal for 6 months
to know how bad things are at PayPal).

The way the system works, I can't reclaim my USD 1 that now enriches
PayPal accounts.

--
Regards
Manish Jain