ssl certificate

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 19 15:57:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, December 19, 2016 7:48 am, Simon wrote:

>>On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:28:11 +0530
>>Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Try https://letsencrypt.org/ .  It has a fairly broad acceptance.
>>>=20
>
> "Today we kicked off our first crowdfunding campaign with the goal
> of raising enough funds to cover about one month of our operations
> - $200,000. "
>
> $200k a month? automated? nonprofit? :D

$200k a Month is rather expensive IMHO. We know nothing is free. We know
free (in the same sense as in free beer, though the meaning in its name is
another "free") FreeBSD has monthly expenses, but probably much smaller. I
know (from long existence) FreeBSD likely will still exist and stay free,
so I can rely on this prediction and happily run my FreeBSD servers. The
Monthly cost of letsencrypt.org, being so high, scares me into scepticism
about it be still free (for "customer") and still exist in some future to
come. I do use letsencrypt.org for one of our project (they want .org
domain), but for the rest of the servers I get (university centrally
covered) commercial SSL certificates. And this just suggests to keep it
this way.

Valeri

> That isn't free, that is called indirect funding or other people's money.
>
> -Simon

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago