Possible errors in section in section 27.3 of the manual

Peter Pfannenschmid peter at pfannenschmid.de
Sun Aug 21 07:38:52 UTC 2016

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

at first, I'd like to thank you for providing FreeBSD and for all related efforts.

I believe I have found an error in section 27.3. of the manual (https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/sendmail.html). The paragraph titled "/etc/mail/virtusertable" starts with the following words:

"This database file maps mail addresses for virtual domains and users to real mailboxes. These mailboxes can be local, remote, aliases defined in /etc/mail/aliases, or files."

This clearly implies that the RHS of an entry in the virtusertable can be a file. I believe that this is not true.

1) Please have a look at the following conversation: https://serverfault.com/questions/798089/is-a-file-a-valid-rhs-in-a-sendmail-virtusertable (question posted by myself). Andrzej A. Filip surely knows what he's talking about, and he says that the right side of a virtusertable entry can NOT be a file.

2) Since for certain reasons this question is extremely important to me, I have researched it for many hours and multiple times, and I did not find even one single example of a virtusertable entry where the RHS is a file.

So I would be very grateful if you could point me to an appropriate reference, or if you could discuss that question with the Sendmail team and eventually fix or clarify the manual. In any case, could you please let me know the results?

Yours sincerely,

Peter Pfannenschmid

P.S. When replying, please make sure that your message gets authenticated by SPF or DKIM; otherwise, my spam filters won't let it through.