Non working NIC

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Aug 17 23:58:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 16:32:20 -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:

> > On 17 August 2016, at 16:05, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:56:15 -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:
> >> Added a new NIC (rl0).  Removed any reference to msk0 in rc.conf.
> >> Set rl0 for DHCP.  Same result, but some additional messages:
> >>
> >> Starting Network: mske0
> >> Starting Network: rl0
> >> rl0: link state changed to up
> >> Starting Network: lo0
> >> Starting dhclient
> >> rl0: not found
> >> exiting
> >>
> >> I am out of ideas here.  How can I figure out what is going on and correct it?
> >
> > This almost looks like a problem with the contents of rc.conf.
> > Can you show all the relevant lines?
>
> I switched to a minimal rc.conf:
>
> fsck_y_enable="YES"
> background_fsck="NO"
> dumpdev="NO"
> hostname="steve"
> ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
> sshd_enable="YES"
>

> Same results.

No errors in this file. However it's interesting that (if I remember
the thread so far) you reported the disappearing of a network interface
with two different devices... however, there's something strange about
the message: when I try to run dhclient for a network interface that
does not exist on my system, I get this:

	# dhclient fxp0
	ifconfig: interface fxp0 does not exist
	fxp0: not found
	exiting.

Note the ifconfig-related line. And if you run "ifconfig -a" and the
interface _is_ listed, this makes the whole thing even more strange...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany