Lexar flash drive dead?

Jonathan Stewart jonathan at kc8onw.net
Wed Aug 17 21:52:18 UTC 2016

On 8/17/2016 8:58 AM, Alphons van Werven wrote:
> RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
>
> ["re-CC'ed" OP]
>
>>> If you haven't already tried try swapping the connectors around using
>>> a different connector on a different motherboard socket.
>> Sorry I missed the USB bit.
> Nevertheless, if not already done so it might eliminate the possibility
> that the problem is with the computer the drive is connected to rather
> than the drive itself.
>
> Other than that, in my experience errors like these usually suggest that
> the drive itself is broken on the hardware level and cannot be rescued on
> a software level. Depending on exactly where the failure lies and whether
> that's a user-serviceable part (e.g. a connector or controller or some-
> thing), it *might* be possible to salvage the data by replacing the com-
> ponent in question with a "donor" component from a healthy drive of the
> same make and type--or at least a similar device with compatible com-
> ponents. However, this usually requires considerable expertise and even
> then USB drives in particular often don't have a whole lot of removable
> components in the first place.
>
> Fonz
I've tried several USB ports on several different computers with no luck.

I've resoldered contacts and traces on USB drives before but from what I
can see nothing is visibly broken. As noted in my other email since the
drive responds and IDs itself I'm guessing the flash chip BGA array is
broken, which I have no ability to do anything with. The drive is still
sold so if I can find someone that can do BGA work it would
theoretically be possible to move the flash chip to a donor drive, but I
have no idea where to look for that.

Thanks,
Jonathan