Lexar flash drive dead?

Alphons van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Wed Aug 17 13:24:35 UTC 2016

RW via freebsd-questions wrote:

["re-CC'ed" OP]

>> If you haven't already tried try swapping the connectors around using
>> a different connector on a different motherboard socket.
>
> Sorry I missed the USB bit.

Nevertheless, if not already done so it might eliminate the possibility
that the problem is with the computer the drive is connected to rather
than the drive itself.

Other than that, in my experience errors like these usually suggest that
the drive itself is broken on the hardware level and cannot be rescued on
a software level. Depending on exactly where the failure lies and whether
that's a user-serviceable part (e.g. a connector or controller or some-
thing), it *might* be possible to salvage the data by replacing the com-
ponent in question with a "donor" component from a healthy drive of the
same make and type--or at least a similar device with compatible com-
ponents. However, this usually requires considerable expertise and even
then USB drives in particular often don't have a whole lot of removable
components in the first place.

Fonz

--
A.J. "Fonz" van Werven <freebsd at skysmurf.nl>
mailsig: Help! I'm a prisoner in a Chinese fortune cookie factory.