Need advice for setting up mail server

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:24:27 UTC 2016

I would second exim, i have used it in big ISP installations so know it
scales fairly well. Its config is also very human readable, and powerful.
If your users are happy at the cli consider hooking procmail into the loop
as well as that can do all sorts of funky things for sorting their mail. On
the mailbox front make sure you use the maildir format, as its the simplest
to manipulate/fix at the CLI and most reliable.

On the dns side dnsmasq is good for small scale, and if it acts a dhcp it
will also handle all you internal dynamic dns without to much hassle. I
generally use it in conjunction with local_unbound as a forwarder, so I get
some level of dns-sec support, even if its not end to end. It will also
handle the ipv6 side of things as well if you have that available. If your
isp doesnt provide ipv6 have a look at tunnelbroker.net. It's easy to setup
(full instructions)