Need advice for setting up mail server

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff me at niklaas.eu
Sun Aug 7 18:12:33 UTC 2016

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff [2016-08-07 20:01 +0200] :

> What I can highly recommend is mail/spamd. I learned about it in
> the FreeBSD Handbook. However, documentation there seems a bit
> old so it's not longer correct. Spamd offers greylisting too but,
> as mentioned above, there are reasons not to enable that.
> However, you can also run it in blocking mode solely. This way it
> collects updated entries on malicious hosts that you can pipe to
> PF and block with your firewall. Very resource-friendly. Read
> spamd(8) for how to configure it properly (and don't trust the
> handbook on it).

I forgot to mention postscreen(8). For its functionality see

  http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html

I just learned about it some weeks ago, so I haven't tested it
yet. Anyway, I guess it's a cleverer and less resource hungry
solution than other anti-spam tool.

    Niklaas