(no subject)

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:50:38 UTC 2016

Dewey Rahn writes:

> I got this far now. How do I get to to boot up with the home screen?

I strongly suggest you stop doing anything with this install, read the
FreeBSD Handbook,[1] and consider starting over. A lot of people have
gong through a lot of work creating an official "Beginner's Guide" that
covers all of the fundamentals of FreeBSD. It would be inconsiderate to
ignore that effort while expecting people to reproduce it here just for
you.

I would also recommend that you read "BSD for Linux Users."[2] Though
some of its information has been irrelevant for years, it will still
give you a decent idea of how FreeBSD and other *BSD operating systems
are different from Linux. Two things are of note: first, FreeBSD has no
"home screen," because FreeBSD has no graphical interface. The graphical
stuff is not part of FreeBSD, and you have to install it separately. And
to do that, you need to learn how to use the ports system and package
manager. And to do that, you need to read the Handbook and the man
pages. Which is the second point: FreeBSD is primarily aimed at advanced
users, or users willing to learn on their own. You need to be willing to
read the documentation and learn how to configure everything
manually. People are willing to help if you get stuck, but no one will
be happy if you expect them to walk you through every step.

[1]: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
[2]: http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01
--

::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'