Burning DVDs

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 19 19:00:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 09:38:56AM -0400, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 09:18:23PM -0700, john.haraden--- via freebsd-questions wrote:
> > (1) I am running FreeBSD 10.2 with
> > crdtools-3.00_2 and
> > dvd+rw-tools-7.1_1
> > (2) I can mount and read previously burned CDs and DVDs.
> > (3) However, I cannot mount a blank cd or a blank dvd.
>
> The newest FreeBSD I have access to (FreeBSD 9.3) does not appear to support
> packet writing of UDF filesystems. Packet writing support is required to
> treat a UDF-formatted DVD as a normal read-write filesystem.
>
> I do not know about newer FreeBSD. Anyone want to chime in? Anyone want
> to update the table at en.wikipedia.org?

It is not supported on newer FreeBSD either, I think. Looking at the files in
/usr/src/sys/fs/udf leads me to believe that there is no writing support.
There doesn't seem to be a fusefs port for it either. But have a look at
sysutils/udfclient, that might help.

Personally I've always used dvd+rw-tools to prepare an UDF image.
And since HDDs in USB enclosures became affordable, I haven't used DVDs
anymore. They're just too small these days. Trying to back up a >100 GiB
harddisk to DVDs gets old pretty fast.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)