How to recognise different types of optical media from quite a long way away

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Oct 17 07:10:51 UTC 2015

Can someone suggest a convenient way to identify optical media
when inserted into an optical drive? I have no problem with
using several tools or grepping through verbose output. What
I need is something like:

	This media is a CD / CD-R / CD-RW / DVD / DVD-R /
	DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-RW / DVD-RAM.

Of course the ability to read / write the media depends on
of the drive, so I'm using a writer (because I assume that
a manufactured DVD, DVD-R or DVD+RW don't matter much to
a reader). I know I can use tools like "cdrecord -prcap"
to obtain a list of the abilities of the drive, but I'm
more interested in the media. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany