Xorg problems

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:04:12 UTC 2015

On Mar 7, 2015 8:45 AM, "William Bulley" <web at umich.edu> wrote:

> According to scrat <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> on Sat, 03/07/15 at 11:33:
> >
> > How do I fix the error:
> >      Number of created screens does not match number of detected
devices.
> >       Configuration failed
>
> I had a very similar problem just the other day.
>
> Check the version of your x11/nvidia-driver port:
>
> unix% pkg info | grep -i nvidia
> nvidia-driver-340.76           NVidia graphics card binary drivers for
hardware OpenGL rendering
> nvidia-settings-340.24_1       Display Control Panel for X NVidia driver
> nvidia-xconfig-310.14          Tool to manipulate X configuration files
for the NVidia driver

> The latest nvidia-driver at:
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=nvidia-driver&stype=name
>
> is nvidia-driver-346.47 and this newer version does not support the
> older graphics hardware in your Dell Inspiron laptop.  If this does
> not apply to your situation, then nevermind, but if it does apply
> to you, then you need to downgrade nvidia-driver-346.47 to the
> older nvidia-driver-340.76 which you can get (download) from the
> NVIDIA download site.  I hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> web...
>
> --
>
>  /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
>  \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /
>   X    HTML E-MAIL AND     / E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
>  / \   LISTSERV POSTINGS  /
>
> 72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|

The 1501 is a $50 laptop from 2006? i dont know that nvidia is the right
driver, I think it has ATI before AMD bought it. This would have been
around the time FreeBSD 7.0 was HEAD i think?

curious??? If this is the same 1501 that featured the first Dell computer
to use AMD chip then probably best to evaluate throwing it in the dumpster.
:)

Waitman Gobble
Los Altos California USA
510 830 7975