Xorg problems

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Sat Mar 7 16:45:28 UTC 2015

According to scrat <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> on Sat, 03/07/15 at 11:33:

> How do I fix the error:
>      Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
>       Configuration failed

I had a very similar problem just the other day.

Check the version of your x11/nvidia-driver port:

unix% pkg info | grep -i nvidia
nvidia-driver-340.76           NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering
nvidia-settings-340.24_1       Display Control Panel for X NVidia driver
nvidia-xconfig-310.14          Tool to manipulate X configuration files for the NVidia driver

The latest nvidia-driver at:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=nvidia-driver&stype=name

is nvidia-driver-346.47 and this newer version does not support the
older graphics hardware in your Dell Inspiron laptop.  If this does
not apply to your situation, then nevermind, but if it does apply
to you, then you need to downgrade nvidia-driver-346.47 to the
older nvidia-driver-340.76 which you can get (download) from the
NVIDIA download site.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

web...

--

 /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
 \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /
  X    HTML E-MAIL AND     / E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
 / \   LISTSERV POSTINGS  /

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|