Junk mail on list reply

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Tue Jun 9 10:39:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 12:22:18AM +0300, Maxim V Filimonov wrote:
> Recently, I started getting junk emails every time I reply to someone in any
> of the FreeBSD Mailing Lists. The messages look like the one attached. Can
> anyone do anything with that? Can I consult anyone to fix that? Why is that
> happening after all?

This is happening because someone has a broken auto-responder that
(a) responds to bulk traffic, i.e., mailing list traffic and (b) responds
back to the person sending traffic to the mailing list.

This list's headers indicate that the way to reach the human(s) behind
it is to contact:

	owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org

This list's main information page indicates that it's:

	freebsd-questions-owner at freebsd.org

(To explain: both variations are common.  I support both on the lists that
I manage because the first one matches RFC 2142 and the second one is
parallel to freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org, which is the address
used to interact with Mailman.  The general rule is that -request usually
goes to a program while -owner goes to people.)

Therefore, I would forward a copy of the response to one of those
addresses (probably the latter), with an explanation, and request the
removal of the address causing the problem.  Most people who run mailing
lists will either warn and/or remove subscribed addresses that do this,
because it's clearly abusive.

---rsk