FreeBSD 10.1p10 defaultrouter not working

John Nyhuis jnyhuis at uw.edu
Tue Jun 9 00:24:10 UTC 2015

I am trying to set a default route of 140.142.xyz.129 using the documented method of adding the line below to rc.conf:

defaultrouter = "140.142.xyz.129"

(the .xyz. is to protect the guilty... mainly me).  ^_^

After restarting the netif and route services, I still don't see a default route being set.
netstat -r shows:

Internet:
Destination		Gateway		Flags		Netif Expire
localhost		link#7		UH		lo0
140.142.xyz.128/25	link#8		U		lagg0
140.142.xyz.141		link#8		UHS		lo0

no default route is assigned...
No logs of interest show up in messages, security, or dmesg.today

The pertinent section of rc.conf looks like:

cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
defaultrouter="140.142.xyz.129"

#create a LACP aggregate interface for the native 1G NICS
ifconfig_bce0="up"
ifconfig_bce1="up"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport bce0 laggport bce1 140.142.xyz.141/25"

This should all be good according to the FreeBSD handbook, but it does not work.

I can manually set the default route using "route add default 140.142.xyz.129", but although the route is now listed, it does not work.

If I comment the "ifconfig_lagg0" line, a default route does show up as expected, so this seems to be related to an incompatibility between a
aggregate interface and a "defaultrouter" line in rc.conf.  Either will work by themselves, but not both in the same rc.conf.

Any wisdom you would be willing to share would be much appreciated...

--
Thanks,
John Nyhuis