install missing packages in tex-live

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Fri Jul 31 00:25:26 UTC 2015

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:37:12 -0500, Brandon J. Wandersee stated:

> Perhaps this is an unsatisfying answer, but since you clearly already
> intend to circumvent your operating system's package manager and
> packaging scheme, the solution would be to manually install
> TeXLive. No doubt there's a debate to be had on the matter, but it seems
> rather fruitless to me to try and convince the FreeBSD porters/packagers
> to do extra work that makes their own efforts superfluous...

That is not really an accurate statement. FreeBSD does not have a packaging
solution for the hundreds of packages available for TeX Live. Now, TeX Live
does have a completely functional solution that for some reason, I honestly
do not know exactly why, does not work if TeX Live is installed via
the ports system. Since it works if compiled from source, this has got to be
a rather fundamental problem.

The OS  is giving me no choice but to circumvent it since I need packages not
available in the standard TeX Live port as configured for FreeBSD. Worse,
there does not appear to be any way to actually keep those packages updated.

Presently, I have gone back to using MiKTeX with TexStudio on a Windows
machine. That "just works".

--
Carmel