Tor-project & git ....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Sep 23 21:03:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:46:45 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> .... I am interested in the tor project (https://www.torproject.org/)
> for anonymizing my browsing. Inconveniently (but not surprisingly), they
> don't have a prebuilt FBSD 9.3 package.

FreeBSD has a port of Tor in its collection, but I don't know
how far that can be used as an integration to web browsers...

> Even more inconveniently, they
> use git for project management, which I know nothing about. I downloaded
> & installed FBSD git (git-2.1.0) a week or 2 ago, & have been reading
> the man pages, but am still a bit clueless (OK, fully & completely
> clueless) as to how it operates, including how to download a software
> tree to start with.

That's easy: "git clone <source>", where the source is usually
provided on the project page. This will get you a local copy of
the source tree.

Here are two "cheat sheets" for reference:

http://training.github.com/kit/downloads/github-git-cheat-sheet.pdf

http://www.git-tower.com/blog/git-cheat-sheet/

But keep in mind that this source tree usually contains the whole
project source, not just the specific parts you'd need to build
the software on FreeBSD.

That's why there's the ports collection on FreeBSD: Software which
is contained in it has been patched and approved to build on the
FreeBSD operating system. If possible, use that, it's less proble-
matic. Of course a git checkout of the _current_ sources will offer
you a more recent version, but it may come at the price that more
tweaking is needed to get a usable result.

Git isn't much different (in purpose) from Subversion (svn) which
FreeBSD uses to track versions, and there are many similarities to
older version control systems like CVS (which FreeBSD previously
used). You just "need" it to get the source tree and to update it
(against the remote repository), that's all.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany