Tor-project & git ....

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Tue Sep 23 22:47:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 23:03:05 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:46:45 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> > .... I am interested in the tor project
> > (https://www.torproject.org/) for anonymizing my browsing.
> > Inconveniently (but not surprisingly), they don't have a prebuilt
> > FBSD 9.3 package.
>
> FreeBSD has a port of Tor in its collection, but I don't know
> how far that can be used as an integration to web browsers...

Yes, it has ! And it works beautifully. I have a working setup of
tor+privoxy that delivers exactly what is expected.

tor         TCP 127.0.0.1:9050 (LISTEN)
privoxy     TCP 10.10.10.1:8118 (LISTEN)

# snip of /usr/local/etc/privoxy/config
#
#      To chain Privoxy and Tor, both running on the same system, you
#      would use something like:
#
forward-socks5   /               127.0.0.1:9050 .

I just point my browser to privoxy and it communicates with tor.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."