FreeBSD 10.1 - Xt error: Can´t open display :0

Luciano Rottava da Silva rottava at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:53:17 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am facing a problem with X in FreeBSD 10.1. Don´t seem to be complicated
but can´t figure out what´s wrong.

I´ve managed to install the binary for olvwm, compiled inside a jail
running 10.1 i386. Host is running 10.1 amd64.

X is started from 'startx', and .xinitrc has a simply call to olvwm.

# cat .xinitrc
olvwm

X is launched successfully but, I unable to open a xterm terminal or any
other client.

Switching to the console (ctrl + alt + f1) I see a message which says "Xt
error: Can´t open display :0"

Then I logged in to console 2 (ctrl + alt + f2) and run a "xterm -display
:0". Coming back o X session (ctrl + alt + f*), my xterm was there, I was
able to launch all necessary programs.

Important to hightlight this is done in the localhost, no X11 forwarding,
nothing, console only since this is my desktop machine.

Advise are most welcome.

Thanks,
Luciano.