No Xorg mouse running 10.1 as a qemu guest on linux.

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 06:17:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 06:11:40AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> > 1. Is there any secret to getting a mouse working in 10.1 in Xorg
> > under qemu ?  I've tried various things, including building vmmouse
> > and adding appropriate xorg.conf lines to force that, but it made no
> > difference.
> >

>  Turns out to be a "from-linux" issue.  On linux I invoke qemu with
> '-usb -usbdevice tablet' to stop it grabbing the mouse.  On FreeBSD
> I needed to remove those.
>
> ĸen
> --
> Nanny Ogg usually went to bed early. After all, she was an old lady.
> Sometimes she went to bed as early as 6 a.m.

Ken,

bash is in ports, since you've installed from ports that's where it got
pulled into the system.

Software included with FreeBSD will be in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, etc. Other
software (ports) is in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, etc. unless the
user desires to install it elsewhere. This is different from the LFS way.
One feature of this configuration is the ability to 'swap' application
configurations without disturbing the underlying system.

startx is part of xinit, in /usr/ports/x11/xinit. xinit is not necessarily
a requirement.

Handbook: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11-wm.html
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinit

Essentially I think it's kind of like this: Program A uses Program B, so if
I install program B i should automatically also get program A.. And that is
not true.

There is some GPL licensed code in the FreeBSD system, for example groff,
and gdb. If you are curious, one way to better understand the licensing in
a FreeBSD system is to read the LICENSE, COPYING, and source code files in
/usr/src. I think it paints a picture of the history.

--
Waitman Gobble
Los Altos California USA