USB to parallel for printer HP LaserJet 4mL

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed May 21 16:01:22 UTC 2014

On Tue, 20 May 2014, Markus Hoenicka wrote:

> At 2014-05-19 15:49, Matthias Apitz was heard to say:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an older printer HP LaserJet 4mL which always worked nicely when
>> attached to my FreeBSD servers/laptops using its parallel interface.
>>
>> Now I do not have any such laptop with parallel anymore. Are there any
>> recommendations for an USB to parallel interface for printers?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> 	matthias
>
> Not quite USB to parallel, but rather RJ45 to parallel: we used to have a
> JetDirect external network adapter for an old LaserJet in our lab which did
> the trick for us. Used or refurbished ones seem to be affordable. I guess you
> have some sort of switch or router to connect your laptop to.

I agree that a network connection is more useful.  Some older routers
had parallel printer ports.  Any generic USB to parallel converter is
also likely to work.

However, if the price of a used external JetDirect or USB adapter is
over $20, I would suggest instead upgrading the printer.  Used business
laser printers aren't too hard to find for $50 or less, and many include
USB or Ethernet or both.  They will also be much faster.