All of a sudden, problems with X

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Tue Jul 22 04:04:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 05:14:23AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:46:43 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> > Now I've rebooted and I can't get Xorg working properly at all.
>
> Did you perform any updates?

Yes, having pondered the situation since my original message, it
occurs to me there may be a mismatch between Xorg compiled from a port
(I think it may have been rebuilt) and a driver installed via pkg. How
would I check?

> > Xorg -configure yields only a black (apparently not blank) screen. I
> > tried adding the magic to allow CTRL/ALT/BACKSPACE but it doesn't
> > work (yes, I rebooted after adding the magic).
>
> There currently are two magics for that: The "magic in xorg.conf"
> when using X without HAL, and the "magic with XML" involving the
> configuration files scattered across /usr/local/ when using HAL.
> Do you use X with or without HAL? If with, is everything running?

Yes, I'm running HAL. I understand this is what makes detecting a USB
keyboard (I have a *full size* keyboard this way) and a USB mouse (my
precious trackball) possible.

service reports that hal is running. ps doesn't indicate anything
amiss (at least as far as I know):

hald is running as pid 1331.
haldaemon  1331   0.0  0.2  60652 8528  -  Is    7:27PM   0:35.85 /usr/local/sb
root       1332   0.0  0.1  46216 5792  -  I     7:27PM   0:00.08 hald-runner
root       1338   0.0  0.1  31860 3964  -  I     7:27PM   0:00.03 hald-addon-mo
root       1377   0.0  0.1  31860 3968  -  I     7:27PM   0:00.03 hald-addon-mo
root       1392   0.0  0.1  23260 2672  -  S     7:27PM   0:06.47 hald-addon-st
root       1539   0.0  0.1  18732 2148 v3  S+    8:51PM   0:00.01 grep hal

> > The only way out of the
> > black screen is CTRL/ALT/DEL, which reboots the system.
>
> This key combination usually does _nothing_ when within X, so if
> it works, it seems to suggest that you have exited X, you're back
> at the text mode console, but you can't see it (blank screen).

So how would I get a prompt back in this situation?

> > If I use startx, I get a correct display, but the mouse doesn't work.
>
> Often a problem related to HAL. Make sure you exactly follow the
> handbook in getting the input working. In case you have updated X,
> also update its "input" components.

Okay, so see above. When installing the system (it's a fairly fresh
installation), I really didn't have to do anything to make all this
work. One of the very first things I installed was gnome2 and I set
the relevant variables for HAL, dbus, and gnome.

But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if an input component hasn't
been updated properly. Is there a sane way of making sure all this is
done right?

> > I actually have two of them. This is a notebook system, so one is the
> > touchpad and the second is a Kensington trackball.
>
> The touchpad is probably represented as a PS/2 mouse (check "dmesg"
> output for "psm0"), and I assume the trackball is connected to USB,
> so it should be detected automatically.
>

> > psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> > psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
>
> This probably is your laptop's glidepad.
>

> > ums0: <Kensington Kensington Expert Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 5> on usbus0
> > ums0: 4 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0
>
> And this is the trackball.
>

> From the X log, those are disappointing:
>
> > [   544.688] (**) ModulePath set to "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
> > [   544.688] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
> > [   544.688] (WW) Disabling Mouse0
> > [   544.688] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
> > [   546.330]
> > [   546.330]
> > Xorg detected your mouse at device /dev/sysmouse.
> > Please check your config if the mouse is still not
> > operational, as by default Xorg tries to autodetect
> > the protocol.
> > [   546.330]
>
> Again, check with the handbook's section about X configuration.
> You probably have a problem with HAL. Many people seem to have. :-)
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

These seem to assume I have an xorg.conf. I was getting by without.
And Xorg -configure doesn't work. So now what?

thanks!

--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the