Unable to boot on USB key on Lenovo Thinkpad T440

Nicolas Geniteau nicolas at geniteau.com
Tue Jan 28 01:28:26 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have the same problem on all HP dc7800 / dc7900 desktops of my university.

2014-01-25 Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>:
> Some work with gpart and dd might be able to convert the USB image to an
> MBR/BSDlabel format which would boot.

As Warren suggested, some work with gpart / dd can resolve the problem :
# dd if=/dev/da0a of=bsd-install.dd bs=4M
# gpart destroy -F da0
# gpart create -s mbr da0
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr da0
# gpart add -t freebsd da0
# gpart set -a active -i 1 da0
# gpart create -s bsd da0s1
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -a 4k da0s1
# dd if=bsd-install.dd of=/dev/da0s1a bs=4M
# mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt
# echo "/dev/da0s1a / ufs ro,noatime 1 1" > /mnt/etc/fstab
# umount /mnt

It worked for me. I hope it will work for you too.

--
Nicolas