freebsd 9.2

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 11 00:23:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:41:45 +0100, Eric Rapilly wrote:
> As it's look that no french is avalaible on freebsd 10, may I use 9.2
> with a chance to get French language ? thanks for your help.

There are many programs which can be affected by setting
the $LC_* and $LANG variables accordingly. Also many of
the desktop environments offer good language support, as
do individual programs such as Firefox or Thunderbird.

For example, you could alter those and put them into
/etc/csh.cshrc (for making the language choice globally)
or your ~/.cshrc (for your account only):

	#-------GERMAN+EURO---------------------------
	setenv	LC_ALL		de_DE.ISO8859-15
	setenv	LC_COLLATE	de_DE.ISO8859-15
	setenv	LC_CTYPE	de_DE.ISO8859-15
	setenv	LC_MESSAGES	de_DE.ISO8859-15
	setenv	LC_MONETARY	de_DE.ISO8859-15
	setenv	LC_NUMERIC	de_DE.ISO8859-15
	setenv	LC_TIME		de_DE.ISO8859-15

Of course the C-shell resource file probably isn't the
best place for those settings, but it works "too well". ;-)

However, some things will still be in English. A good
example are the manpages. Even though the Handbook and
many other resources have been translated, the manpages
have not. The idea behind this choice seems to be: Those
who will read the manpages will understand English, and
those who don't understand English probably won't want
to look at manpages anyway. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany