freebsd 9.2

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 10 16:55:17 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 16:41, Eric Rapilly wrote:
> As it's look that no french is avalaible on freebsd 10, may I use 9.2
> with a chance to get French language ? thanks for your help.

Localization capabilities are not going to be very different between 9.2
and 10.0.  It is true that there is little in the base system that is
available translated into other languages than US-English -- support
for NLS simply hasn't been imported into the sources.  While the
Handbook etc. probably do have up-to-date French translations, I don't
think there's anything similar for system man pages.

However, the situation as regards various 3rd party software systems /
desktop environments is quite different.  If you install KDE or similar,
you should find it pretty easy to set up a localized workspace.

Checkout PC-BSD if you want a FreeBSD based desktop system -- I think
that has better multilingual support right from the installer.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you will have just to pick up enough English to
get by.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--