freebsd 9.2

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Feb 11 02:05:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014, Polytropon wrote:

> However, some things will still be in English. A good
> example are the manpages. Even though the Handbook and
> many other resources have been translated, the manpages
> have not. The idea behind this choice seems to be: Those
> who will read the manpages will understand English, and
> those who don't understand English probably won't want
> to look at manpages anyway. :-)

There probably is not any policy on this.  Certainly it would be nice to
have translations of the man pages, and the major roadblock is a lack of
translators.  In turn, that's because it's a difficult job.  There are
Japanese translations by an outside project, but I don't know offhand
where they are.

We (some of the doc team) have been looking for tools to make the
translation process easier using modern tools.  A quick search just now
found textproc/po4a, which supports mdoc and other formats.

If anyone is interested in using these or other tools to translate man
pages or any of the rest of the FreeBSD documentation, please post to
the freebsd-doc mailing list.